From a recent Cracked article, 5 Complaints About Modern Life (That Are Statistically B.S.):
In general, it’s easier to be negative… It’s easier for us as a generation, because to admit that the world isn’t that bad right now would be to admit that we have it easier than our grandparents did and that the world thus has the right to expect more from us.
The article tries to debunk some common myths and misconceptions about modern life, including:
- Music has never been crappier than it is right now;
- Crime today is skyrocketing out of control;
- Today’s processed food is unprecedentedly unhealthy;
- Today’s citizens are dumber than our ancestors; and
- Contemporary standards of living are lower than ever before
Though author’s present some compelling arguments, ultimately it’s hard to tell whether their aim is to mitigate complaints about the present-day or just to point out that things have always sucked, and that they sucked way worse in the past than they do today.